There are two kinds of Sigfox tests:
- RF & protocol tests, to check Sigfox protocol & RF performance compliance.
- Radiated performance tests, to assess the radiated performances of the device. These radiation tests will define a radiated power classification of the device in uplink mode.
Here are essential documents that you should keep in mind when preparing for your tests:
- Be prepared for RF & Protocol tests (PDF file, includes mandatory checklist)
- Be prepared for Radiated Performance tests
Sigfox has developed the SDR Dongle and RSA software to help device makers prepare for their Sigfox RF & Protocol tests.
Tests must be executed according to a valid CBL.
|Certification Baseline documents||Release CBL June 2020|
|Be prepared for Sigfox Radiated performance Tests||1.0.1|
|Be prepared for Sigfox RF & Protocol Tests||5.0.2|
|Sigfox Radiated Performance Test Specification||2.0.4|
|Sigfox RF & Protocol Test Specification||5.0.3|
|Pre-testing with the Radio Signal Analyzer (RSA) and SDR Dongle|
|Sigfox RF & Protocol Test Procedure (all RCs)||5.0.0|
As Sigfox technology evolves, the Certification Baseline has a lifecycle associated with the content of the evolved baseline. The different steps of CBL are defined below:
The rules associated to the lifecycle of the CBL are the followings:
- A new CBL becomes mandatory in average 3 months after being released
- When a CBL becomes mandatory, the previous mandatory one becomes obsolete
- From the moment the new CBL version is released, it can be used for certification
- If a device includes a new feature, which associated testing is not included in current mandatory CBL version, it must use the new released CBL as soon as it is available.
- Maximum time between submission and granted certification is 6 months.
The new release of CBL June 2020, has been published and can now be used. CBL Nov 2019 is no longer valid.
The main improvements included in the new CBL are:
Test requirements modified to cover testing of Sigfox low cost reference design and applicable to all products (similar or lower constraints):
- Frequency step: Frequency Step test is replaced by “Product's population Spectral Occupation»
- Static frequency tolerance: addition of a check of measured Static Frequency vs Declared Static Frequency
- Max TX Baudrate Cumulated Error: limit relaxed from 0,1 % to 3%
- Power Spectral Density: addition of a lower limit applicable only to class 2 and class 3 devices and modular design used on class 2 and class 3 devices.
- Carrier center frequencies in bi-directional mode: new test
Sigfox RF & Protocol test specification simplification including:
- A single document including test specification, test plan and all RCs requirements
- Addition of applicability table and test modes table
Several tests adapted to allow flexibility and easy testing of supported features (no change in requirements)
Detailed changes can be found in revision history of each document.